One of my favorite (easy!) meals to make when I haven’t gone grocery shopping in a few days is a stir-fry. It’s one of those dishes where you can pretty much throw in whatever veggies you have on hand, and it will taste phenomenal. This is when I use up those extra 10 Brussels sprouts hanging out in my fridge, or that frozen bag of organic broccoli that is just taking up too much room in my freezer. Pour some Sriracha sauce on it, and BAM! Instant deliciousness.
You can use either frozen or fresh veggies for this, it doesn’t really matter. The only advise I’d give or using frozen is to not use frozen Brussels sprouts (they tend to get mushy when you cook them. Kinda weird. Way worth it to use fresh for these guys.), and to defrost frozen veggies in the microwave then drain the water before adding them to the pan.
Shrimp & Chicken Stir Fry
- 4-5 cups cooked, frozen devained detailed shrimp, defrosted (feel free to use non-frozen too)
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 zucchini
- 1 green summer squash
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 4-5 cups brussels sprouts
- 1 Small Yellow Onion
- 1-2 tbsp. Siracha (to taste)
- 2 tbsp. fat of choice (I used coconut oil, but olive oil is fine too!)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dice onion. Add fat to a deep pan, then add onion. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stiring occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare other veggies.
- Wash and cut zucchini, squash, and broccoli into bite-size pieces.
- To prepare brussels sprouts, cut off stems then cut brussels sprouts in half. Remove outermost layer of leaves.
- Add broccoli and brussels sprouts to pan with onion, season with salt and pepper, and over. Cook for 5-6 minutes until veggies begin to get tender, stirring occasionally. Then add zucchini and squash to pan. Cook, covered, until all veggies are fork tender.
- While veggies are cooking, cook chicken in a separate pan. Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan, then add diced chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Flip chicken over occasionally to ensure it is cooked evenly.
- Cook chicken thoroughly, about 6-8 minutes, then add to pan with veggies.
- Add thawed shrimp to pan with veggies and chicken. Pour Sriracha over the stir-fry mixture. Continue to cook on medium heat for about 1-2 minutes until shrimp is heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Feel free to add any vegetables you have on hand. Cauliflower and carrot go great in this, too!